Highly Recommended Award
Our Highly Recommended designation is earned by products offering extraordinary value or performance in their price class.
$1,699 MSRP Discontinued
- 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution from TI's fast-switching pixel shifting, .47-inch DMD chip
- Designed for sports and TV programs in family rooms with ambient light—rated at 3,000 ANSI lumens vs. 2,000 ANSI lumens for the nearly identical HT3550
- HDR10 and HLG HDR support
- Brighter, punchier 3D compared with HT3550
- High brightness level is at the expense of some color accuracy and dark-black levels, as demonstrated by comparison to the HT3550, which delivers higher color accuracy and darker blacks but lower brightness
- Input lag is too high for serious gamers
The BenQ TK850 is a tempting choice as a TV-replacement for a family room with ambient light.
Editor's Note: The $1,699 BenQ TK850 is a nearly identical projector to the well-reviewed BenQ HT3550, except for a different accent color for its front and rear panels, and a different color wheel that effects a significant boost in brightness—3,000 rated ANSI lumens for the TK850 vs. 2,000 ANSI lumens for the HT3550. The trade-off for the extra brightness is a modest sacrifice in color gamut, color accuracy, and deep black level. As with these projectors' predecessors, the HT2550 and TK800, they are specifically designed for optimal viewing in a darkened home theater (HT3550) or a moderately-lit family room (TK850).
Rather than conduct a standalone review for the newer TK850, our Contributing Editor David Stone performed a direct side-by-side comparison of the HT3550 and TK850, which you can find here. Dedicated star ratings for the TK850, as well as its Highly Recommended award designation, are found above.
For a more complete description of the TK850, you can refer to our standalone review of the HT3550 (also Highly Recommended), which discusses the many features shared by both projectors except for those specifically noted in the shootout. —Rob Sabin
For more detailed specifications and connections, check out our BenQ TK850 projector page.