Epson ProCinema 6040UB Home Theater Projector
Update: (11/16/16) At the time of this review we did not have sufficient information to comment on HDR related issues. We have just posted an HDR Compatibility Survey which includes data on all Epson 4K-enabled projectors.
The Epson Pro Cinema 6040UB is an all new 4K-enhanced home theater projector that replaces the earlier Pro Cinema 6030UB. Though there is only one digit difference in model numbers between the 6040UB and its predecessor, the 6040UB is a completely different projector, new from the ground up. Physically it is larger and six pounds heavier. It features a new light engine design, a new all-glass zoom lens, updated video processing capabilities, and of course its flagship feature -- 4K enhanced resolution achieved through pixel shift technology.
The Pro Cinema 6040UB, priced at a retail of $3,999, is one of a family of aggressively priced 4K-enhanced projectors being released by Epson this summer. The other models include the Home Cinema 5040UB ($2,999), its wireless version the 5040UBe ($3,299), and the Pro Cinema 4040 ($2,699). In short, the differences are these:
- The Pro Cinema 6040UB and 4040 are sold by CEDIA dealers, custom installers and specialty home theater retailers. The Home Cinema 5040UB and 5040UBe are sold in open distribution and are available through Internet resellers.
- The Pro 6040UB and 4040 models come with a ceiling mount, an extra replacement lamp, a cable cover, and a third year of warranty included in the price. The Home Cinema 5040UB and 5040UBe come with a two year warranty; replacement lamps, ceiling mounts and cable covers are not included.
- The Pro models are black, the Home models are white.
- There is a performance difference between the 6040UB and 4040. The 6040UB is rated at 2500 ANSI lumens while the 4040 is 2300 lumens, and the contrast rating on the 6040UB is 1,000,000:1 vs 160,000:1 for the 4040.
- There is no performance difference between the 6040UB and the 5040UB.
|Review Contents:||Introduction||The 4K Issue||Performance||Set Up and Install|
|Limitations and Conclusion|
by email direct from Epson dealers
Get an E-Z Quote