Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500UB Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 7500UB Home Theater Projectors
The Epson Home Cinema 6500UB and Pro Cinema 7500UB are the company's latest high performance home theater projectors. Unveiled at the CEDIA show last September, they commenced shipments around the end of the year. If one needed to describe what they are all about in one sentence it would be this: They are very bright, and very high in contrast. Actually, they are among the brightest home theater projectors we've ever seen. They are not without a few flaws, but as far as image quality goes, they are very impressive indeed.
Differences between the 6500 UB and 7500 UB
The Home Cinema 6500UB and Pro Cinema 7500UB are 1080p resolution LCD projectors that are built around the same design. The reason for the two models is that they are intended to be sold through different distribution channels. The 6500UB is in open distribution, and the 7500 UB is restricted to sales through CEDIA installers and specialty retailers. As far as the projectors themselves are concerned, the differences between them are as follows:
* The 7500 comes with a set of calibration memories that can only be accessed by ISF trained installers to fine tune the image. Since the memories are locked, the user cannot accidentally alter or erase those calibrations.
* Precalibrated operating modes on the 7500 are different (or at least differently named) than on the 6500; the 6500 modes include Theater, Theater Black 1, Theater Black 2, and Dynamic (among others) whereas the 7500 has Cinema Day, Cinema Night, and Vivid (among others).
* The 7500UB comes with an anamorphic stretch mode that allows you to use an anamorphic lens without needing an external video processor. The 6500UB does not.
* The 7500UB has color isolation test patterns that enable you to adjust color settings without needing viewing filters.
* The 7500UB is black, and the 6500UB is white.
* The price of the 7500UB includes a spare lamp, ceiling mount, and cable cover. These are options at extra cost on the 6500UB.
* The 6500 UB has a standard two-year warranty, while the 7500 UB is three years.
Specifications for the Epson 6500UB and 7500UB
ANSI lumens: 1600
Contrast (full on/off): 75,000:1
Light Engine: 1920x1080, native 16:9 3LCD, 200W E-TORL lamp.
Video Compatibility: 1080p/60/50/24, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i.
Connection Panel: Two HDMI 1.3 ports, one 3-RCA component port, one VGA port, one composite video, one S-video, one RS-232c, and one 12-volt trigger.
Lens and Throw Distance: 2.1:1 manual zoom/focus lens. Will throw a 100" diagonal 16:9 image from 9.75 to 20.8 feet.
Lamp Life:4,000 hours.
Replacement lamp price: $300.
Warranty: 6500UB, two years; 7500UB, three years.
|Review Contents:||Differences||Features Overview||Issues||Assessment|