Introducing Sony's New 4K Projectors
Sony Electronics has just announced a major upgrade to its home theater projector line-up. Three new native 4K projectors, the VPL-VW285ES, the VLP-VW385ES, and the VPL-VW885ES, are being released at the CEDIA tradeshow in San Diego this week. All three of these 4K projectors share a common set of features as follows:
- Sony's SXRD reflective technology in native 4096x2160 resolution.
- HDR10 and Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) formats
- HDR Contrast adjustment allows user to adjust screen brightness for HDR content
- Supports 4K HDR at 60p 10 Bit
- TRILUMINOS color gamut with broader color range, reproducing more tones and textures than Rec709.
- Reality Creation provides crisper picture while not sharpening picture noise
- Full HD 3D with built-in RF emitter compatible with all Full HD 3D spec IR glasses
- Powered 2.1x zoom and focus lens and powered vertical/horizontal lens shift.
- Two HDMI ports, both with HDCP 2.2
- Low 26 dB audible noise rating
Sony VW285ES and VS385ES
4K HDR Home Theater Projectors
The three models and their key differences are these:
Sony VPL-VW285ES ($4,999): The VW285ES drops the price of 4K projectors featuring chipsets with full native 4K resolution on the chips to under $5,000 for the first time. The VW285ES is built to deliver an immersive extremely high resolution 4K cinematic and gaming experience. It is rated at 1500 lumens and carries no published contrast rating. The light source is an ultra high pressure lamp with an estimated life of 6000 hours.
Sony VLP-VW385ES ($7,999): The mid-level VW385ES is a contrast enhanced version of the VW285ES, carrying a dynamic contrast rating of 200,000:1. It also adds two other key features: (1) Picture Position memory (automatic one-touch lens readjustment to accommodate different aspect ratios for Cinemascope constant-image-height installations), and (2) Built-in Auto Calibration to maintain color balance over time. Like the VW285ES, this model has an ultra high pressure lamp with an estimated life of 6000 hours.
Sony VW885ES 4K Laser HDR
Home Theater Projector
Sony VPL-VW885ES ($24,999): The VW885ES replaces the high pressure lamps with a 20,000 hour laser illumination system. Dynamic Contrast is increased to "infinite" using real-time laser light level control. Brightness is boosted from 1500 to 2000 lumens. The VW885ES is a larger and heavier projector, weighing 44 lbs. compared to 31 lbs for the 285 and 385. It has a different cooling system with airflow exhausting out the rear of the unit to eliminate any possibility of heat exhaust affecting projected light. The VW885ES also introduces Motionflow (frame interpolation) for 4K signals, and it supports 18 Gbps on both HDMI/HDCP 2.2 inputs. It also adds a 4K vertical stretch mode for Anamorphic lens compatibility. Like the VW385ES it offers Picture Position memory and Built-in Auto color calibration.