ProjectorCentral, "The World's Largest Projector Resource,"™ and online retailer ProjectorScreen.com have shared new details about their previously announced Laser TV Showdown that will face-off more than a dozen 4K ultra-short throw laser projectors to establish the leading performers in the category.
The one-day, non-public event will take place at ProjectorScreen.com's headquarters in Pompton Lakes, NJ on August 4, 2022, with results and rankings to be released immediately following the Showdown. Video highlights will be shared shortly after. Six expert judges have been recruited from the calibration and A/V editorial communities, including the following respected reviewers:
- Chris Eberle, professional ISF-trained display calibrator, display reviewer for Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (hometheaterhifi.com), display reviewer for Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)
- Al Griffin, Senior Editor, Home Entertainment US and display reviewer for Tech Radar (TechRader.com), former editor-in-chief/display reviewer for Sound & Vision (soundandvision.com), ISF-trained calibrator
- Mark Henninger, Managing Editor for Home Theater Review (hometheaterreview.com), former editor-in-chief for AVSForum.com, contributing technical editor/UST projector reviewer for ProjectorCentral.com, THX-trained calibrator
- Chris Majestic, YouTube projector reviewer and influencer at MajesTechs (youtube.com/c/Majestechs)
- Ralph Potts, veteran Blu-ray Reviewer and A/V writer at AVSForum.com
- Sammie Prescott, Jr., professional ISF-trained display calibrator, contributing technical editor/reviewer at ProjectorCentral.com
Signal distribution manufacturer AVPro Edge is co-sponsoring the event and will supply its high-bandwidth HDMI distribution amplifiers and matrix switchers for the effort, along with Bullet Train high-speed HDMI cables. AVPro Edge sister company Murideo will provide an 8K-SIX G signal generator and 8K SIX-A HDMI analyzer for distribution testing and projector calibration. German instrument manufacturer JETI, also a co-sponsor, is supplying a Spectraval 1511 HiRes Spectroradiometer with a narrow 2 nanometer optical bandwidth suitable for precision calibration of laser projectors. Additional co-sponsors include Kaleidescape, which will provide one of its award-winning movie servers to help speed and automate the evaluations, and Spectra Projection, which will supply eight matching 100-inch Vantage lenticular UST ALR screens with a 0.5 gain and 95% rejection of overhead light to optimize black level and contrast.
The projectors will be fully calibrated in advance for dark-room SDR and HDR viewing modes, while a preferred "Daytime" picture mode for each projector will be selected out-of-box and subjectively tuned to room conditions to provide the best image for ambient-light viewing. Calibrations will be conducted over several weeks by A/V expert Dave Harper of HarperVision, LLC—an ISF-trained calibrator, Certified Technology Specialist (CTS) and reviewer for ProjectorScreen.com—in association with ProjectorCentral staff.
Projectors will be evaluated using test patterns and movie/TV program clips that will challenge their color accuracy, dynamic range, resolution/detail with still and motion video, image scaling/processing, and brightness. Separate evaluation sessions will be held for projectors with a single blue laser+phosphor architecture and for premium, triple-laser projectors offering dedicated light sources for the red, green, and blue color primaries.
The tentative list of projectors participating in the Showdown, subject to change, is as follows:
- BenQ V7050i
- Epson LS500
- Hisense 100L5G
- LG HU715Q
- Optoma P2
- Samsung LSP7T
- ViewSonic X2000B-4K
- XGIMI Aura
- AWOL Vision LTV-3500
- Formovie Theater
- Hisense PX1-PRO
- LG HU915QB
- Samsung LSP9T
- VAVA Chroma
Want more articles like this?
Subscribe to get ProjectorCentral's comprehensive coverage of projector tech delivered directly to your inbox.